Tier 4 Student visa


This type of visa for students and children are for those non-European applicants who wish to come to the UK to study and experience life and culture of this country. It is split into two categories:

  • General Student – for those who are coming to the UK for post 16 education
  • Child Student – for children between the ages 4-17 coming to the UK for their education at independent schools.

Qualifying for a Tier 4 Student Visa

  • You must have secured a place at a UK based institution which is registered with the Home Office for full-time study
  • You will need to have English language abilities to enter the UK as a student
  • You will need evidence of funds
  • You will need a certificates showing your qualifications


With this visa you can not:

For example:

  • You can not study below degree level if the course includes a work placement unless this is provided by a university, college or training provider with a status of “highly trusted sponsor”
  • Can not bring dependants if the duration of the course is less than six months
  • If you are applying to study a course lower than degree level under Tier 4 your dependants will not be able to work unless they qualify to work in their own right under different visas
  • If you are studying a course lower than foundation or undergraduate degree level your dependant will not be allowed to work in the UK

For Tier 4 Student (Child)

The Tier 4 Student (Child) Visa category is under the points based system and is for those children aged between 4-17 who wish to come to the UK for their education to study in independent schools.

Short term study visa

It is possible to apply for a short term study visa if you are enrolled on a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course. This type of visa could also be appropriate if you wish to do a short period for research purposes as part of a degree if you are studying in a different country.

How do I apply? Please speak to one of our advisers +44(0) 20 7993 6346

Other information on different visa types that you may find relevant can be found on our page for Tier 4 Sponsorship Licence.


Mann’s Solutions is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Nº F201501006.