Tier 2 (General) visa


To apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa, you must be a skilled worker from outside the European Economic Area and have a Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer who holds a valid Tier 2 sponsorship licence. There is a limit on the number of Tier 2 (General) visas that can be granted. People who are earning over £150 000 per year are excluded from this cap.


Short summary of required documents

To apply a candidate must:

  • Have a job offer from a licenced UK employer with a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from the employer
  • Meet certain UKBA maintenance requirements
  • Meet the necessary English requirements
  • Achieve at least 70 points in the Tier 2 points test.


Employment offer and sponsorship

You can receive 30 points by having a valid Certificate of Sponsorship.

If you have been working in the UK under a Tier 2 (General) visa and your job is on the shortage list, but it has been removed, you may continue to work in the UK.

You can also apply for an extension to your visa if you wish to stay in your current job for the same employer. If you wish to move to another employer you must complete the labour market test first.

Additional points can be earned by receiving appropriate salary and allowances.


English Language Ability

You have to score 10 points for the English language ability or you will not be eligible for Tier 2 (General) visa extension. You must receive at least B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference of your English language skills.



You must score additional points in this category as well.

You will automatically obtain these points if you are currently in the UK in any of the following immigration categories:

  • Any Tier 2 visa category
  • Work Permit holder
  • Representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation


How do I apply? Please speak to one of our advisers +44(0) 20 7993 6346

Other information on different visa types that you may find relevant can be found on our pages for Tier 2 Sponsorship Licence, Turkish Worker Visa and Indefinite Leave to Remain & Naturalization.


Mann’s Solutions is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Nº F201501006.