Visas and Residence Permits regarding EEA nationals and their families


All EEA nationals automatically have an initial right of residence of three months. Every national who hold a valid EU member state nationality have a right to continue their residency in the UK as they are a Qualified Person.

Those who are studying and the economically self-sufficient have to have comprehensive sickness insurance in place (to not be a financial burden on the state) before their Treaty rights are effective.


Registration Certificates

A registration certificate proves the holder’s entitlement to reside in the UK, even though there is no requirement to obtain such a document for EEA nationals as it only confirms the right to reside and work in the UK.

A registration certificate does not have an expiry date



EEA nationals and their family members (and those who are non-EU citizens) who have resided in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years can apply for permanent right of residence.

Family members who are non-EU citizens and do not have continuous residence of 5 years can apply for a family member visa. This visa will grant the right to work, study and live in the UK for 5 years.

Those family members who are outside of the European Union can be invited to join their EEA family members who are exercising their Treaty rights for a period of 6 months. However, they will only have the right to live but not work or study.


Public Funds

EEA nationals residing in the UK would be expected to arrange for their maintenance and accommodation by themselves without the need to resort to public funds. However, any public fund taken do not have any effect on their right to live and work in the UK, as long as they remain a qualified person.

How do I apply? Please speak to one of our advisers +44(0) 20 7993 6346

Other information on different visa types that you may find relevant can be found on our page for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) & Naturalization.


Mann’s Solutions is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Nº F201501006.