Studying in the UK

Studying in the UK is not only a chance to discover its unique culture, cities and countryside. When it comes to starting your career, UK qualifications are also a great boost to your salary, as well as to your CV. That’s why this country is a popular choice among international students. If you consider starting a degree in Britain, we can provide you a brief introduction into the education system of the country.

london-1081820_1920The education system in the UK can be seen as divided into different parts depending on what is required of the student (child) or what the student wants (over 16). Children in the UK are legally obligated to attend primary and secondary schools which runs from approximately about 5 years old until the student is around 16 years old.

Generally, the stages can be seen divided into:

  1. Stage one: 1 – 7 years’ old
  2. Stage two: 7 – 11 years’ old
  3. Stage Three 11 – 14 years’ old
  4. Stage Four 14-16 years’ old

Usually the first two stages will be completed at primary and secondary schools. After that the student will move on to stages 3-4.

Students in the UK are assessed at the end of every stage. The most important assessment occurs at stage 4 when students pursue their GCSE’s or General Certificate of Secondary Education. When a student manages to complete their GCSE’s they are presented with a choice whether to go onto further education and then potential higher education, or finish school and go into the working world.

Here is a small overview of how education facilities and visas function:

Elementary and Secondary Education

Tier 4 (Child) visa category is directed towards children aged between 4 – 17. Children between the ages of 4 – 15 are only allowed to attend independent fee-paying schools. Tier 4 (Child) students may not be able to study in public schools unless it is in the form of a publicly funded further education college.

Child Visitor      

This category is for children who are under the age of 18 and would like to undertake a short course of study in the UK. The individual has to be accepted into an accredited educational program to participate. These types of visas are valid for a period of 6 months or less. However, 12 month visas are obtainable for those children accompanying an academic visitor.

Student Visitor

A Student Visitor category is directed towards adults, aged 18 or over, who would to start a short course of study in the UK. The person in question must be enrolled into an accredited educational program to participate. Needs to be applied under the Tier 4 (General) visa category. Issued visas are valid up to 6 months or less; however, 11 months visas are possible to those who wish to study English language courses.


A student has the option to come to or remain in the UK as an adult student under the current Tier4 (General) via category. This category is targeted for individuals aged 16 or over who would like to come to study a course at or above National Qualification Level 3. This level is a secondary education program which is meant for individuals who wish to enrol in a university. You may also study at a University/College in the UK under this category.

All in all, it may seem daunting and to some extent frightening with all the different regulations and visa types for students depending on the age and where they are going. However, Mann’s Solutions is here for you (and your children). We can help you prepare all the necessary documents and to make sure you or your children will have a stress free obtained visa. The only thing you will have to worry after that is homework.